- Bears on Patrol is a cooperative effort between Kosair Charities and local law enforcement agencies to provide patrol cars with teddy bears and other stuffed animals.
Where do the stuffed animals go?
- The stuffed animals are used by officers throughout Kentucky and Southern Indiana to comfort children exposed to traumatic situations, and to let the children know that the police are only there to help.
How long has this program been around?
- Bears on Patrol has been around since 1997, and over 300,000 stuffed animals have been given out!
How can I help?
- You can hold a “Bear Drive” to collect new and gently used stuffed animals. Spread the word to your office, school, class, church, scout group, friends or family and ask them to bring you any new or used stuffed animals. You can create your own box for a drop off point, or you can come and pick up a Bear Bin at Kosair Charities. If you need a bear bin, please contact Stephanie Smith at email@example.com.
What types of stuffed animals can I donate?
- We accept new and gently used stuffed animals of all shapes and sizes!
- You can drop off your donations Monday – Friday from 8:30am – 4:30pm at:
982 Eastern Parkway
Louisville, KY 40217
If you did not hold a bear drive, and would like to make a donation, there are currently Bears on Patrol Collection Bins at Baxter Avenue Theater and Wal-Mart in Corydon, IN or you can bring them to Kosair Charities. More drop-off points will be coming soon!
Can someone pick up the stuffed animals from me?
- On most occasions no. However, if you or your organization collects over 200 stuffed animals, we do have a van and truck available to come and pick up the stuffed animals within the Metro Louisville Area.
Can someone come speak to my school, class, scout troop, church etc. about this program?
- Yes, we will come to speak to groups about Bears on Patrol. These talks are available if your group consists of 15 or more people. We usually give the talk after a group has collected stuffed animals. That way we can thank you for the donation and explain why this program is so important.
I’m a police officer… How does my department get bears?
- Bears on Patrol bears are only available for law enforcement in the state of Kentucky and 8 counties in Indiana. Please contact Stephanie Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or 502-637-7696 ext. 104 to request stuffed animals for your station. Please include the station name, address, a person to contact, a phone number, and the amount of bags you would like to receive (there are 20 stuffed animals per bag). As soon as we have enough bears in stock we will mail or deliver them to you.
Where are all the bears stored?
- Our friends at PMR Companies have created a new Bears on Patrol logo and renovated our Bear Room on the Kosair Charities Campus where this program is housed. Kosair Charities would like to extend a big “Thank You!” to our friends at PMR!
For more information on Bears on Patrol, contact Stephanie Smith, Program Coordinator 502-637-7696 ext.104 or email@example.com.